Edgardo Cabarios, NTC Common Carrier and Authorization Department director, said ABS-CBN Convergence -- formerly known as Multimedia Telephony Inc (MTI) -- would discontinue its WLL service effective March 10.
Cabarios said ABS-CBN Convergence wrote NTC a letter about the planned termination of the service.
He said ABS-CBN's WLL subscribers would be migrated to ABS-CBNmobile, which was launched on November 16 last year.
"We are studying it on how it would affect their subscribers. We have to ensure that there will be no prejudice to their subscribers," Cabarios said.
Another Lopez-owned company, Bayan Communications Inc earlier said it had about 100,000 subscribers before it sold its WLL assets to MTI, a move the NTC approved in 2011.
Under the terms of the sale, selected assets related to Bayan’s wireless Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) business will be transferred to MTI, a duly enfranchised wireless voice and broadband company, as part of its plan to expand its wireless voice and data service offering.
The deal between Bayan and MTI involves the sale, assignment and transfer of all Bayan’s rights and interests used in its WLL service, such as, but not limited to, licenses, permits, and other authorities it has secured for the said service